Urban Interactive – Project Development Blog

Change of plan…

Posted in ROTJ by urbaninteractive on December 31, 2009

After spending a bit of time working on the code for the game I still wasn’t happy with the performance I was getting.  When I had more than 3 hidden wireframe objects on the screen I saw quite a bit of slow down.  I revisited the code and couldn’t see any way of making it faster, so I had to think of a new solution.  The new solution is quite drastic.  Im going to ditch the MiniB3d engine and write my own OpenGL graphics engine. MiniB3d is very good but I think the way I am using is not the best.  Also it includes a lot of code with I’m not using and I don’t fully understand how it is all linked together.  Therefore I think its best if I start it fresh and write my own specific / streamline engine just for vectors.  There will be quite a few advantages…

  • Speed should increase (using VBOs)
  • I will understand fully the code and can therefore optimise it
  • I should be able to also apply my own shaders, so perhaps I can have glowing vectors after all.

Another downside of how I am doing things today is that I am having to loop through all the vertexs of an object even if they aren’t used.  With my engine I will be able to elimate this and therefore should be only processing a smaller amount of vertices (giving more speed).  Also the current code uses both Max2d commands and OpenGL, so it can be confusing.  I want to make everything OpenGL.  Overall I think this is the way to go.

Cab finished, now back to some coding …

Posted in ROTJ by urbaninteractive on December 27, 2009

Happy Christmas all.  I’ve been enjoying some time with the family and really enjoying my little boys first Christmas.  He was feeling under the weather for the past 10 days (teething and a bad cold) but on Christmas day he woke up happy and started babbling again.  Now he back to his normal cheery self.  I was cheery as well as my wife bought me a nice Vectrex console (I’m sure you know what these are but if you don’t then look it up on youtube).  Anyway it needs a little work to restore it back to its former glory so thats my new little side project.

So finally the cab is finished and has been used by most of our xmas visitors who all seem to love playing on it.  At the moment it has my PC in it but I will replace it later with another one as I need my PC back.

You can see it in action here…

In the meantime I have set up my Mac so I can continue to code ROTJ.  I’ve been thinking a little more about how I can speed things up as my initial tests with hidden line drawing is a little disappointing speed wise.  I’m going to rewrite some of the code and do a batch rendering system.  Basically all this means is that I will save all the points I need to draw in memory and the draw them in one go, instead of drawing each object individually.

In from the cold…

Posted in ROTJ by urbaninteractive on December 13, 2009

Today I brought the cab into the house and to its final home.  I had to take off a couple of doors to get it in, and then had to re-arrange my office to find a space for it.  I’m really pleased with it though and it’s now really starting to look like a proper arcade machine.  Not bad considering my lack of woodworking skills prior to starting this project.

As you can see its been painted, and I’ve attached the t-moulding.  I’ve also started to add some of the graphics.  I’m leaving the side art till last and its the biggest and trickiest 🙂  I have cut the perspex screen cover as well and will fix that in over the coming days.  After that I only have internal work to do i.e. fixing in the monitor and hooking up the computer.  I hope to have the machine fully functional by Christmas.

Sometimes the solutions are in front of you…

Posted in ROTJ by urbaninteractive on December 3, 2009

I did a little more work on the cab last night.  During the day I was thinking again about how to do the round joints which link the two sets of pipes together.  Originally I thought I would make them from scratch using perspex, but decided against this as I thought it wouldn’t look too good.  So yesterday I started to think about what was laying around the house that was round and could be cut into shape.  I went through various things but nothing was really suitable so I went back to desk and there in front of me was the answer…  I had a stack of blank CDs and the cover for these was perfect.  It had an interesting shape and was easy enough to cut.  After a little tinkering here are the results…

Tonight I hope to do a little more filling to smooth the edges, and then I will start the last bits on the bezel.